Thursday 14 April 2011

Dem Bones Dem Bones Dem Dry Bones


Last night I was very excited at the thought of going back to Hammersmith Hospital today to pick up my new rat-pellets to start on ARIAD. So why am I sitting here writing this blog instead of sitting at the hospital downing my drugs…      
To qualify for the ARIAD phase 2 trial I have to pass certain criteria. Now, I have always found passing tests to be relatively easy, so as you can imagine having NO control over my CML results can be quite frustrating to say the least, (especially when you are constantly failing CML class).
The main qualifying criteria for ARIAD is to have failed at least two out of three current TKI treatments – Imatinib, Dasatinib or Nilotinib. BINGO! I have finally passed something (ironically by failing twice!) I have failed Imatinib and Dasatinib so I qualify right? Well yes, nearly…
You need a bone marrow biopsy result to confirm this and show that you still have a good number of leukemic cells. The result is also used as a baseline to monitor your progress throughout the trial.
Last weeks bone marrow biopsy = FAIL!
My biopsy result has come back as ‘inconclusive’ not because I don’t have leukemic cells, but because they couldn’t get any bone marrow out of my bones to get any result at all. AKA my bone marrow is as dry as a popcorn fart.
Initially, ‘MOST’ CML patients have BMBs (bone marrow biopsies) every three months until they are shown to be responding well to a drug and then increasingly, BMBs fade away into the distance and are replaced with PCR blood tests, which are more accurate as the levels of bad cells reduce. For me, I have consistently been having biopsies every three months since my diagnosis a year and a half ago.
Biopsies have become a thing of dread for me. For all you non CMLers, if you’re interested to see a biopsy CLICK HERE there are loads on YouTube. For everyone else, I won’t make you relive the experience; you all know how it feels.
Six times I have some confident cocky trainee trying to poke around in my hips and get to my ever-so-scarce and valuable marrow without anything other than a local anaesthetic.  My gorgeous mum holds my hand and looks on with dread (she is scared of blood and needles) as they poke around in my hip looking for the amber nectar. As time has progressed, my marrow has become as endangered as the Madagascan Aye-aye. Ever seen one of those? Nope, nor have I.
Generally my biopsies follow the same routine – the local anaesthetic goes in, I yelp and ask for more anaesthetic, they administer another anaesthetic shot for luck (I am very persuasive), the marrow needle goes in, they poke around, they panic, look at my mum, whisper, poke around some more, wipe some blood on some slides, realise they have no marrow, cautiously ask if they can go in again, I whimper… (go to the top and repeat x 5), then we give up.
Not so confident or cocky now are you Dr. Trainee…? As I hobble out the room I mostly mutter under my breath, “I wish I could say it had been a pleasure…” and “I hope we don’t meet again too soon”.
So there it is, I was sitting on the sofa last night when I got a call from Prof. Jane Apperley (I love Jane, I quite literally owe her my life. Love you too Mum!) telling me we have another ‘inconclusive’ BMB result and it would be a wasted trip popping by to pick up my drugs tomorrow as I can’t start them yet until we get a result. The plan of action is to wait a week, stay off my Dasatinib and try again on the left side of my hip – we usually go to the right. If that doesn’t work, don’t worry she says, there is always the sternum to try after that . . . (I REALLY hope going left side works!) I will then have to wait another week for results, so I have no hope of starting the trial for another fortnight.
I am frustrated to say the least.
In the meantime I am going to enjoy a drug-free couple of weeks, a rare treat. I am out on the town Saturday – at least I won’t have a TKI hangover on top of a self-induced hangover.
x

5 comments:

  1. You are definitely the best looking rat around ! Joking apart it must be so soul destroying all this bone marrow failure and waiting but you are on the right road and you will get there in the end. Enjoy your drug free weeks. May be you should get a shot of the GCSF before you do next bmb ?
    I had to wait nearly two years for Glivec which was the holy grail then and I was only on hydroxyurea like sitting on a ticking time bomb but I made it in the end and so will you I am quite sure of that because we share the same determination and joy for life.
    Have fun and forget CML for this next week and let's see what this next bmb brings.
    xxxxxxx E

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear that Michelle, it's so unfair. Pleeeese tell me you are going to be sedated this time, then at least then they can have a good poke around. On the upside, enjoy your time off the drugs and give it large this weekend ;-) Your humour and strength as always, with get you through. You are fantastic you know. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really sorry to hear about today Michelle. What a bum!As Lynn says make sure you ask for sedation next week & plenty of it! You are so amazing you are such a strong person & with your great personality & humour you will get through this & get those Pellets very soon. In the meantime enjoy the drug holiday have a great weekend have a bottle or 2 for us. you are a great person & we love you. We are with you all the way.
    Make sure you have a great weekend as we need plenty of fluid for next weeks BMB!

    Lots Of Love & Hugs
    Carol & Steven

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Michelle,

    I found your blog through NewCMLDrug.com. I am in the Ponatinib trial, have been for 18 months now (Phase 1). I definately understand your comment about the lab rat. When ever I asked how does this drug do with regards to this or that, their answer was 'we're trying to learn, based on your experience'.

    Best wishes with the BMB, I have had Dr. Mauro at OHSU call me one of his most stubborn patient in terms of bones, he really struggles sometimes to get the needle through, but then other times on a different side, it works fine. I always opt for the concious sedation now, morphine and valium. I hit a 9 beer feeling, sure takes the edge off.

    You can follow my trial journey at http://ftbwtw.blogspot.com/.

    I hope you get in the trial, and that the drug works for you. We also went the IVF route, and made plans before I started the trial. We're expecting our 3rd kid in August, so keep hope alive, even on this roller coaster ride we call CML, good things happen, and life is good.

    Best wishes,
    Hans
    Woodinville, WA, USA

    ReplyDelete
  5. By writing this, you have provided us with an excellent post. If you are having issues with click speed, I recommend that you read this profile click test here you can test your clicking speed very easy way.

    ReplyDelete